- Watercress -1 bunch
- Mung dal – 150 g
- Grated coconut (grind to a fine paste) – 2 Tablespoons
- Canola oil – 1 Teaspoon
- Mustard seeds – ¼ Teaspoon
- Split urad dal – ½ Teaspoon
- Dried red chili - 1
- Turmeric powder – ¼ Teaspoon
- Salt as needed
- Coriander leaves for garnishing
- Wash mung dal with water and keep aside.
- Wash Watercress to remove adhering soil. Trim the leaves with stem about two inches and reserve for cooking. Discard the bottom semi hard stem.
- Heat oil in a frying pan and add mustard seeds. When they pop up add urad dal. Fry till dal is slightly brown.
- Add mung dal, two cups of water, turmeric powder and cook until the dal is half done.
- Now add the watercress and crushed red chili.
- Cook the mixture, adjust salt and add coconut. Cook further for few seconds.
- Cook the mixture by not closing the frying pan through the whole process.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
- It goes very well with hot rice and chapathi.